Great Day Farms
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Submitted By: Heather Disarro
Bio: Heather Disarro is a native Texan who now lives in Little Rock with her husband Nate, son and two rambunctious labs. She graduated from Texas Tech University in 2006 with a degree in Restaurant/Hotel/Institutional Management and English. After forays in the restaurant, fashion and outdoor apparel industries, her passion for food, writing, photography and travel led her to begin a food- and life-based blog, Heather’s Dish, where she blogs on a daily basis. She also coordinates a blog dedicated to encouraging women to see their own true beauty, FacesofBeauty.org, which is run solely from individual contributions. In her free time you can find Heather working out, playing hide-and-seek with her son, kneading bread or hiking with her family. She is a wife, mother, storyteller, writer, hopeful crafter, and all-around completely blessed!
For the muffins:
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the filling:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the streusel topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a muffin pan with muffin liners and set aside.
3. In a small bowl combine the cream cheese, superfine sugar and vanilla extract, and mix thoroughly until everything is combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. In another small bowl combine streusel ingredients and mix well using your fingers until a crumbly mixture has formed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
5. In a large bowl whisk together the coconut oil and sugar until combined.
6. Add the eggs and whisk until very creamy.
7. Add the pumpkin puree and mix until smooth.
8. Sift in the flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt, baking soda and baking powder; then gently fold all of the ingredients together until just mixed.
9. Fill each muffin cup about halfway with batter; this should only use about 2/3 of the batter.
10. Drop the cream cream cheese mixture by the tablespoonful into the center of each muffin cup.
11. Spoon the remaining batter on top of the cream cheese in each cup making sure that the cream cheese is completely covered with batter.
12. Bake the muffins at 350° for 25 minutes until batter is completely baked through.
13. Let cool completely before eating.